A Brief History
The Asbury congregation began in 1806, in the home of Revolutionary War Capt. John Stevenson. In 1871 a brick church was built at the corner of Noe-Bixby and Winchester Pike. It was dedicated in 1872 as Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church, named for Bishop Francis Asbury, arguably the most influential person in early American Methodism.
Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1958 the church was incorporated as Asbury Methodist Church, and in 1967 a new building was consecrated and the original brick structure demolished. The original bell remains at the corner of Noe-Bixby and Winchester Pike, and a few pieces of the original furniture and artwork have been preserved. In 1968 the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist Churches merged and became The United Methodist Church, and Asbury was renamed Asbury United Methodist Church, South.
The Asbury congregation grew, and the building as it exists today was dedicated on March 20, 1994. There is an inviting sanctuary for worship, a large multipurpose room for fellowship, and many classrooms for education. There’s room for you! We welcome all people.